Ladder Rosary

Discuss materials, techniques, tools and tricks of the trade for making wire and chain rosaries.

Moderator: Moderators

Ladder Rosary

Postby carpenters_dtr » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:31 am

Has anyone ever made the ladder rosaries? I'm in the process of making one & the instructions I have calls for 5 ft of chain & that doesn't seem like it will be enough. I was just wondering how much chain to use. The beads I'm using are 7mm.
Kathy

"I look to you,
brothers & sisters of every state of life,
to you Christian families,
to you the sick & elderly,
and to you young people:
Confidently take up the rosary once again."
- Pope John Paul II
carpenters_dtr

Ladder Rosary

Postby carpenters_dtr » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:13 pm

Well I finished it. It was very difficult & not sure if I'll make another one. I found instructions to have the beads spaced 1/4" & about 1/2 for the pater beads. I had enough chain.
I enjoyed making the ladder rosary out of twine but not the chain.
Kathy

"I look to you,
and to you young people:
- Pope John Paul II
carpenters_dtr

Ladder Rosary

Postby Karen » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:16 am

I never heard of a ladder rosary until you posted your first message. Does it have chain or cord on both sides of the beads, so that the beads form a ladder? That is the only design I can imagine for a ladder rosary.
"Remember that you are the guardians of beauty in the world."
Pope Paul VI - Message to Artists
Karen

Ladder Rosary

Postby carpenters_dtr » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:44 pm

Here is a website to see what they look like. They are very beautiful.
http://sacramentals.org/RosariesandCases.htm
Kathy

"I look to you,
and to you young people:
- Pope John Paul II
carpenters_dtr

ladders

Postby marywel » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:46 pm

Yes .. ladders are very nice! I haven't made the chain ladders yet just the cord and hemp ... but did string some chain thru 12mm wooden drum beads for St. Therese sacrifice beads which worked out nicely and still had the 'counting effect' of pulling the beads and them staying put .. I'd like to make a chain ladder too, but I would imagine it is very intricate and time consuming and no one's ordered one yet, so I'm safe ;) But they are beautiful :)
marywel

Ladder Rosary

Postby flowerlady3 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:41 pm

Kathy,
The ladder rosary's are beautiful. Where did you get the instructions from?
Thanks
Angie
flowerlady3

Ladder Rosaries

Postby UtahRosary » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:58 pm

I have made five chain ladder rosaries, four of them for four of my six children. The first one took me all day with painstaking struggles to get it right. The second one went smoother, and by the time I finished the fifth, it took me just a few hours. I didn't have instructions, just a ladder rosary my sister had given me years ago as a model.

I use 8mm beads. I just ordered more beads and eyepins from OLRM and am going to make another 10 in the hope of selling them, maybe at my local church, to help support my mission rosary making.

If I could figure out how to attach pictures, I'd show you the ones I have made, they include an emerald green, purple, orange, pink, and pinkish/purple. The first four are in my children's favorite colors with crucifixes and centers chosen especially for them; the last one was just because I had the supplies and is now an extra.

I'd be happy to share how I made mine if you're interested.

Also, if someone knows a better way to go about selling rosaries to help support their mission work, please let me know.
-- To Jesus, through Mary --
UtahRosary

Double Strand Wire Rosary Instruction

Postby Catherine Michael » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:46 pm

Lewis Co. has instructions for a double strand wire rosary at:

http://www.rosaryparts.com/pages/instru ... ctions.asp

Go down the page below the basic wire/eye pin directions.

Lewis also carries a really expensive kit double strand rosary (expensive - over $100 - because Sterling Silver, and also the Pater beads have fancy end caps added.)

But it is lovely, although not to my taste. I can see the point of doing the double strand thing with cord as it keeps the beads in their place without knots or some kind of spacers, but I don't really see the point with chain, and it would make a heavy rosary unless you used very small beads.

Catherine
Catherine Michael

Return to Wire Rosaries