bead colors

Discuss materials, techniques, tools, and tricks of the trade for making cord rosaries for the missions.

Moderator: Moderators

bead colors

Postby aggiecowgirl » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:41 pm

I really like making colorful rosarys and was just wondering if the color combinations had any specific meaning or if it was just for looks. Thanks!

Re: bead colors

Postby Maire » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:07 pm

Aggiecowgirl, it's nice to meet you.

Sometimes the colors are symbolic, as in the World Mission Rosary where each decade (green, blue, white, red or yellow) represents something specific to a different continent.
The red and white (or clear) beads of a Divine Mercy rosary would call to mind Blood and Water that flowed from the Heart of Jesus on the Cross.

Other times you might choose bead colors just based on what looks nice or whatever happens to be a preferred color for the people who will be receiving the rosary. You are free to decide.

God bless you in your work as a rosary maker!

LORD, let Your mercy be on us, as we place our trust in You. ~ Psalm 33:22

Knotted Cord Rosary for Troops and for Veterans:

Postby OurLady » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:00 pm

I was baptized Catholic as a baby, but never went through First Communion or Confirmation (long story...) So when I was confirmed as an adult, I made a special rosary to have Monseignor bless for me that night. My husband and I have 3 sons, so I made a standard 5-decade rosary using each of our birthstones for one decade. It would have been outrageous to use real gemstones, so I found pretty faceted crystal beads that matched our birthstone colors. Mine was deep blue for September (sapphire), my husband's are clear for April (diamond), our oldest son's are a deep reddish brown for January (garnet), middle son is light purple for February (amethyst) and the youngest is light blue for December (blue topaz). I used the three boys stones for the three Hail Mary beads on the drop part.

I also made a birthstone rosary for my youngest when he was baptized. The blue topaz colored beads were beautiful!

Postby David » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:10 am

Regarding colorful rosaries I have made a Patriotic color scheme for the troops in the military and retired veterans' in nursing homes. (Red, White, Blue with a gold cross on white cording) Looks very nice here. With patterns of the red, white and blue in 10 bead decades etc. Use some imagination and you'll be surprised what the Lord and do through you.

Have made special Christmas and Easter rosaries as well.
The green cording, ivory and red bead with gold crosses work well here for the Christmas design.
For Easter, I use the pearlized beads. Gives a nice pastel color to the rosary for Easter.

Have made 'Rainbow' rosaries. Basically it's ten different colored beads repeated in each decade, (each decade should match) with the same color bead for the Our Father to make it stand out from the rest. This type of rosary takes time to make, but it's worth it. After the third decade, reverse the color pattern of the decade for an even-looking rosary.

I use a beadboard most of the time for rosary making my usual mission style rosaries. Using the beadboard, I can make a rosary in less than 5 minutes.

Of course, all of these rosaries can be used year-round and not just for a specific holiday etc.

Just some ideas to try and at least for me the above info seems to work. Have fun and God Bless you in everyone's rosary - making endeavours.

Return to Cord Rosaries