Measurement of Cord

Discuss materials, techniques, tools, and tricks of the trade for making cord rosaries for the missions.

Moderator: Moderators

Measurement of Cord

Postby happy » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:08 pm

Hello,

I am new to this forum. I started ordering thru mail just last week and I am excited to start my rosary making. I would like to know how long the cord should be for making a rosary, 9 in, 10 in, ?

Thank you for any help.
happy

Postby OurLady » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:26 pm

I usually start with a piece of cord about 56" long. I prefer to cut mine a little on the long side so I have plenty of cord to work with when I get to the end and tie the last knot to put on the crucifix. I don't like to get to the end and have to really fiddle with the cord to get it through and tie the knot tightly.
OurLady

Cording

Postby David » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:17 pm

Happy,

I agree with Our Lady here in the forum on keeping it longer. Personally, I wind up with around ~ 65 inch lengths of cording.

An exact number is not what is critical, it's how comfortable you feel working with the cording. Everyone is different. Also, since cording is inexpensive, you don't have to be critical of every inch.

It's better, I feel, to have cording a bit longer, rather than shorter, especially when learning the art of rosary making.

I've been making rosaries for such a long time, I don't even measure anymore. I just stretch the pound roll out at complete armslength and that is about perfect every time ( at least for me )

So, experiment, see what works for you, try something different. You soon will develop your own knack and style for making rosaries.

You will probably be teaching us a few pointers in the process.

The best of luck with your rosary making endeavours.

David
--------------------------

The Rosary:

Prayer that you hold in your hand, reflecting the faith that you hold in your heart.
Last edited by David on Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David

Postby RosaryRN » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:22 pm

I think the cord needs to be at least 60", which is what the original instructions say. It is very disappoiting to be nearly to the end of a rosary and find there is not enough cord left to finish it! I sometimes make it even longer...but it should not be shorter than 60", IMHO :D
RosaryRN

Postby RosaryRN » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:26 pm

P.S. to Happy: I think you will LOVE making cord rosaries! I find that making them is a very contemplative thing in itself; I put on some music and set myself in the Lord's presence and it is a wonderful way to focus on God. I hope you enjoy making them even half as much as I do...do you have a particular mission project or are you making them for gifts, etc? I make mine for the chaplain's office at the hospital where I work. The patients love them :D
RosaryRN

Cord Mesurement

Postby happy » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:49 pm

Thank you Our Lady, David, Rosary RN for all your advices and eccouragements. I do appreciate them. Now I am confident that I can do this.

I think I will really LOVE making rosaries and your idea ,RosaryRN, with music on it. :D.

I moved here in California last May of 2011. Good question RosaryRN, I was intending to make them for the church for several ministries like for the group that go to hospitals to give communion for the sick, praying the rosary ministry. They have a catholic hospital here and was intending to talk to them and give rosaries also.
happy

Return to Cord Rosaries