difficulty with brown bonded cord

Discuss materials, techniques, tools, and tricks of the trade for making cord rosaries for the missions.

Moderator: Moderators

difficulty with brown bonded cord

Postby marigold » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:38 pm

With the size nine white bonded cord, my barrel knots come out smooth and tight. But the size nine brown bonded cord is harder to pull tight and the knots sometimes come out lumpy and misshapen. Anyone else have this experience and is there a secret to working with the brown cord that I don't know?
marigold

Postby Kim » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:49 am

Hello.. I just started using the brown cord. It seems a little 'dry' as compared to the white. But so far so good. My knots have been hit or miss. I've had to re-do some knots due to the un-even look.
But - I'm new to this. My knots aren't spot on anyway.
Good luck with your crafting.
Kim
Kim

Knotted Up

Postby David » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:03 pm

I too have noticed this regarding the brown cording.

It seems that the coloring on the cording itself is what gets stiff and is, from my experience, affected by the humidity in the air at times.

Noticed in the summer time the cording seems to swell a bit and in the colder months is indeed a bit more firm.

My trick, if you want to call it that is to just take a bit more time making those knots and really 'rolling' the knot until it's perfect before giving it that final tug.

Not much different than what we all do, but a little lesson in patience.

Keep the loops of cording in line and don't be in a hurry.

This is what worked for me anyway.

God Bless all the Rosary Makers out there and know that The Blessed Virgin Mary looks fondly down upon all of you.

David
David

Postby marigold » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:16 pm

Thanks, Kim and David!

I've been finding it helps to pull extra tight before I slip the knot off the tool and learning that I should expect to have to take some of the knots apart again regardless. The brown cord just needs to be "worked with" more. . .
marigold

Return to Cord Rosaries