storing rosaries

Discuss materials, techniques, tools, and tricks of the trade for making cord rosaries for the missions.

Moderator: Moderators

storing rosaries

Postby sholly » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:10 pm

Hi, I just started making cord rosaries about a month ago. I now have rosaries hanging from the posts of all my dining room chairs. How do you store them? Also how do you package them so they won't get tangled? Brand new in Phoenix.
sholly

packaging rosaries

Postby Ohio Annie » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:22 pm

Here in Columbus, OH we have a standard method that lots of people around here use.

When all the door knobs in our houses are full of rosaries we finish the ends by sealing them with a candle flame but not so long that there is discoloration of white cord. Then we gather ten rosaries together by the crucifixes and fasten them loosely with a rubber band around the tail just above (or below since they are hanging from the hand) the crucifix.

Then we gather 5 of these sets of ten rosaries and insert them into one of those long plastic bags that newspapers come in, holding the bag and then just letting the beads hang into it. The crucifixes all hang out the end while the beads are inside the bag. The end of the bag is fastened with a rubber band more tightly than the sets of ten are. The fastening again is in the same place, the tail above the crucifix. This allows for easy counting by the recipient so they can tell how many are in each bag. All they have to do is count the crucifixes that are outside the bag without opening the bag.

The bag keeps the rosaries from tangling and also keeps them flexible so many more can be packed in a box for shipping. The method that others use of stringing them on wire is much more labor intensive and takes more space, besides requiring wire. If you don't have rubber bands tying the sets with yarn or string or twine will work as well.
Ohio Annie 8-)
Ohio Annie

poly zip bags

Postby David » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:49 pm

Sholly,

I have been using 3" x 3" clear poly zip bags for quite some time.
They are inexpensive and resealable. I usually buy around 3000 at a time. :shock:

Was using the 2 mil thickness for a time, but now mostly use the 4 mil.
Adds a very nice touch to the final product. :wink:

One rosary per bag. No tangling. :lol:

David
David

Re: packaging rosaries

Postby Maire » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:00 pm

sholly wrote:I now have rosaries hanging from the posts of all my dining room chairs...

Ohio Annie wrote:When all the door knobs in our houses are full of rosaries...

hee hee. Here, too.

A heavy-duty clothes hanger could work well for storage, the kind that has a split in the bottom rung and two clips to hold a skirt (which would keep the rosaries from falling off). Then they could be out of sight in a closet until ready to give away.

I've always used a paper sleeve to individually package each rosary:
http://olrm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=580

Peace be with you.
Mary
LORD, let Your mercy be on us, as we place our trust in You. ~ Psalm 33:22

Knotted Cord Rosary for Troops and for Veterans:
http://www.seatofwisdom.net/rosary.htm
http://www.seatofwisdom.net/veterans.htm
Maire

Storing rosaries

Postby lindabean55 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:43 am

I am the one in our Rosary making group that sorts and boxes up our rosaries to ship out to missions & other places. We mostly do corded rosaries with beads, and some use the spacers to cut down on the # of knots to tie. I take them in groups of 10 and tie them together with a piece of left over rosary string. Then I lower them in to a Gallon size zip bag, which will hold about 10 sets, or 100 rosaries. If I'm sending them to a mission, that is about the # that I can fit in a Flat Rate USPS envelope. Shipping that out of the US is $13.95. I also found that shipping to APO boxes costs much less. I can fit 5 or 6 bags of 100 rosaries into a Large Flat Rate USPS box that ships in the US for about $14.95. When putting the bundles of 10 in the 1 gal. bag, I zig zag them back & forth about 3 times and layer them in. Since USPS provides the boxes free, I usually fill these boxes as the rosaries come in each month, then ship them out when we have a special request, or have a full box. This works out well for us and cuts down on the clutter! :D
"If you don't stand for something - You'll fall for anything"
lindabean55

Twist-Ties

Postby RosaryRN » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:37 pm

Hi. I do something similar to what LindaBean does: I use twist ties that come with plastic baggies to fasten a group of cord rosaries together (the longer the tie, the more rosaries in a group, obviously). Then I store them in the large ziploc bags as she does. Truthfully, I don't find that cord rosaries tangle that easily, and if they do, I find them pretty easy to untangle. Happy stringing ! :D
RosaryRN

Re: storing rosaries

Postby PA7810 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:16 pm

I use twist ties that I get at the dollar store. They come all coiled up in a white holder and you have to cut them to your desired length. I also seem them at the supermarket.
PA7810

Return to Cord Rosaries