Using drinking straws to hold beads

Discuss materials, techniques, tools, and tricks of the trade for making cord rosaries for the missions.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby kaybee » Mon May 31, 2010 6:23 pm

Hello,
I have been making Rosaries since 1986. I started making wire ones, but now that we are full-time RVers, I make mostly the cord ones.
The straw method keeps the beads corraled & I think is faster.
The drinking straws have to be the right size diameter, so the beads won't fall out.
Put 10 beads in the straw & then cut that section off. Repeat for the other half of the straw. You will have small section left over, which is thrown away.
Now take the beads out. Using small scissors, make 1 cut the length of the straw section. Put the beads back in. If you have enough straws,you can do this for all 5 decades. Through the years, I have amassed enough that I can fill 50 to make all 10 Rosaries.
After making the 1st knot,put your cord through 1 of the filled straw sections. Pull on the cord. Because of the cut you made,all 10 beads will now be on the cord.
I am curious if any one else uses this method.
Even having to fill the straws, I think it is alot faster. Plus,if your cord frays,this way you are not stringing the beads 1 at a time.
The problem is finding the right size straws.[/b]
kaybee

Postby anita h » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:28 pm

kaybee, thank you for posting this. I'm new at making mission rosaries. I tried your idea and it's been a big help. :)

However, I discovered that when I used straws that were snug for the beads, I'd sometimes have the beads POP! out of the straw when I was filling it -- Definitely NOT a time-saver, having to scramble to rescue beads. So I switched to straws that are just a tiny bit loose at first because making the length-wise slit in the straw holds the beads in place when the straw overlaps itself just a wee bit.

Using the straws, I don't have to depend upon good light to see the holes in the beads. Sometimes I have to pinch the straw where the last bead is, because otherwise it'll tip a little so the hole doesn't line up quite right, but that happened with the smaller straws, too.

After I string the decade, I leave the straw in place while I tie the next knot. That keeps the beads together so there are no surprises in spacing the knot due to slouchy beads on the cord.

Also, using the straws ensures that there are no 9- or 11-bead decades. :oops:
anita h

Postby T700 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:07 pm

I think I must be missing a step. How do you make sure the holes are all lined up in the straw?

Thanks,
Paul
T700

Postby anita h » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:49 pm

Paul wrote --
I think I must be missing a step. How do you make sure the holes are all lined up in the straw?

Because the mission beads are oval shaped, and the straw holds them in place. They automatically line themselves up so they thread horizontally.

This wouldn't work with round beads -- they'd be every which-way.

Hope this helps --
Anita H
anita h

Re: Using drinking straws to hold beads

Postby No Knotsense » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:17 am

I have found that using clear straws helps so that you can see how many beads you've put in. :)
Remember to Smile! :)
No Knotsense

Re: Using drinking straws to hold beads

Postby LindaT » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:08 am

I have been using straws also, but I just put 10 beads in the straw, slip in the cord. Which helps to line up the beads, pull back genly with my beads, add spacer Our Father beads and then repeat with same straw. I never thougt of cutting the sraw. :roll:
LindaT

Return to Cord Rosaries