Easy cord measurement

Discuss materials, techniques, tools, and tricks of the trade for making cord rosaries for the missions.

Moderator: Moderators

Easy cord measurement

Postby Dr Bill » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:57 pm

For those of you that have a problem with stretching your arms out I have a little trick I use to measure my cord length. I have a couple pieces of lathe that I use to measure with.

I cut it ½ the length, hold the twine at one end and stretch to the other end and rap and come back to the end your holding and cut it off. I usually rap 10 times before I cut the twine. I make 100 twine lengths at a time.

I role each up and place between parchment paper, stack in a Tupperware container, (or any container), before I put them up I also dip the ends in clear varnish satin finish I get from the craft store, (it don’t smell like fingernail polish) and drape the coils of twine overlapping with the ends hanging of the edge of a tv tray. Let them dry and then put in the container with paper between to keep them from getting tangled.

I would like to hear any other tips you use.
Look back and thank God
Look Forward and trust God.
Look around and serve God.
Look within and find God
God closes doors no man can open and
God opens doors no man can close.

Mary help us.
PRAY THE ROSARY
Dr Bill

Measuring cord

Postby franzola » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:01 am

you have a Great Idea...My husband took a piece of wood and measured it the length that I wanted my cord to be, and then he pounded a large nail at each end. When I need cord we wrap the cord around the nails many times ( each wrap produces 2 lengths of cord). then when finished
I cut each end at the nails and I have my cords. I usually do about 150 -200 at a time.
Then I dip the ends in polyethurine clear that I get at walmart and I put a small line up in the garage where I put them over to dry. Once dry I took a plastic hanger, and covered the bottom of it with duct tape (so the cord will not slip off) and put them over the duct tape on the hanger, which is very easy to remove the amount that I want. I also use the poly to secure my knots, by putting them in a plastic bottle, and snipped off the top and the poly just drips out enough for each Knot.
(I give God credit for that little tip!!!) I actually got the bottle from a hair color kit.
So fast and so easy..Much better than brushing it on. One other little tip is when I am making my Rosaries, I use a "glad" box (found in the grocery store with plastic bags, etc) that has divided 3 compartment, and put Our Father beads in one, separaters in another and Haily Mary beads in the other. works out so good. When my husband helps me he puts his "glad" box in a 9 x 12 cake pan so it is sturdier on his lap. Thanks for your tip!
franzola

Postby Gloria » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:00 pm

Franzola,
You have allot of great tips. I'm going to try the polyurethane you suggested. (on the other topic) the store that I was at yesterday didn't carry it. I'll pick it up the next time I go to the hardware store. Where would I find the bottle with the small tip. (I Have never used hair dye) I bought a new nail clipper as soon as I get all the stuff. I'll be ready to start making cord Rosary's.------Gloria
Gloria

Gloria,

Postby franzola » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:07 pm

The clear poly that I get is at walmart and is 7.97 a quart. For the bottles to apply the poly check in Walmart in the section where they have all the travel bottles of lotions, shampoos, etc, and I am sure in there you could find a bottle with a small tip for applying it. I know you will find cutting the ends of the cord after drying is so easy using a toenail clipper, rather than a scissor. I usually do up 10 rosaries and then do the poly on them and when dry cut the cords and then bundle them in 10's for packaging. I send mine to the Universal Living Rosary Association in Dickenson Texas. Where do you send yours?
franzola

Postby Gloria » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:47 am

Hello Franzola,
I Haven't made that many cord rosary's. I made quite a few when I first learned to make rosary's. The Lady that taught me is the one that used to give them to the Catholic School she worked at. (she moved) I have given cord rosary's to the Department of Corrections. (youth) I also give them away to any one. I have a flat rate box full of (about 200) all black rosary's just sitting here, ready to be given away. I recently finished making the pro life kit I ordered. I plan on giving those away to the local pro life group. I just need to go back and put nail polish them (where I cut the strings). I Haven't bought the poly, yet. I make wire/chain rosary's. I give most of them away to the ladies at church. Usually from April-October I spend my time with my cross stitch projects. ------- Gloria
Gloria

what I am doing

Postby Dr Bill » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:44 am

I sent 100 Rosary to Iraq to a Chaplin and 100 to Afghanistan to a Chaplin there. I sent 200 to a school in Kenya, I almost fell over when I found it cost $48 to send them. Then sent 200 to Choctaw Indian Res. School and 100 to Panama. I did these during lent. I prayed while I made them. A blessing I am going to continue for a long time. The problem I have is I don’t have a income to purchase the supplies at times. That seems to be the limiting factor in my mission. I have request for 1000 more Rosary. I should be busy for at least a couple months. I didn’t set a goal, I am letting my Blessed Mother guide me. I will be bed bound for 6 more months and will have time to pray and make Rosary. I really hate being stuck in bed, I want to get out and do things.

I tried the little bottle to do the knots with the varnish, Oh what a God sent that is, thank you for the idea. I got a bunch of containers from the dollar store. They hold two bags of mission beads enough to do 20 Rosary. I can put the lid on and not worry about spilling them. I put them in a rectangle cake pan in case I spill any they fall in the pan and not on the floor.

I have a service dog that watches me work and when I cut twine she plays with the spool that bounces on the floor like a cat would. A little Chihuahua, my little pal.

Thank you all for your comments. I look every day two or three times to see if there and any new posts. God bless all the Rosary makers
Look back and thank God
Look within and find God

Mary help us.
PRAY THE ROSARY
Dr Bill

Easy Cord Measurement

Postby nikkname » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:47 am

Dr. Bill,
Have you contacted any local Catholic church or church organization to see if they would be willing to help with shipping costs or supplies. When I spoke to my mom about approaching a church organization for postage she said she would pay postage for rosaries I make.

Often, church organizations can be involved in philanthropy, and if they are able to assist you in your continued mission, that would be great.
Nikki
nikkname

Postby franzola » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:30 pm

I was surprised to see how much it cost to ship your package to Iraq or Afghanistan. My husband is retired military and tomorrow we will call the diocese for the military and get an APO number and name of a chaplain to send your package to, so it won't cost so much. When you send to an APO address you only pay the postage from where ever you live to New York and then the rest is sent by military at no charge. I will send you the address when I get it. I will ask for a chaplain in Both Iraq and Afghanistan for you. However, when sending them to Kenya, there is no APO there so that is very costly. I send all of my Rosaries to the Universal Living Rosary Association in Dickenson Texas, where the lady in charge, Patti Melven, sends them all over the world to different places. She has been doing this for years. Also if you email her you can be signed up to do one decade of the rosary daily along with thousands of others that are also assigned a decade, making many thousands of rosaries prayed. Her email address is:
filomena@philomena.org
Thanks for letting us know that you got some divided containers at the dollar store. I am going there tomorrow and will get some, along with a new toenail clipper for clipping those ends from the knots as mine is getting very dull. By the way where did you find the small bottles for the varnish or poly? I have one from haircolor but may need a new one soon. You companion sounds like he is full of ambition, and am sure he keeps you laughing alot. God Bless you!!
franzola

fill the bottle

Postby Dr Bill » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:04 pm

I have glaucoma and use a lot of eye drops. The nozzle pulls out so you can fill the bottle easily. I made 100 Rosary today and only had to fill in the AM. I will refill in the morning again. I was told by a friend they have squeeze bottles at the $1 store here also. I am going to look into that tomorrow. :shock:

I shipped to Kenya to a school which I worked at one year. They are very poor and have a lot of aids children there. I talked to Father and he is going to do all our shipping for us and also buy supplies. I sat back this evening and counted the number of beads I used, 48,000 beads, :roll: no wonder I wore blisters on my fingers from the knots. I actually was bleeding from making wire Rosary so finished lent tying knots. :P

God Bless Everyone.
Look back and thank God
Look within and find God

Mary help us.
PRAY THE ROSARY
Dr Bill

Dr. Bill

Postby franzola » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:40 pm

I recieved an answer to my email regarding sending Rosaries to troops overseas, and this is the response from the Command Chaplain:

Thank you for your concern for our troops. If you send the Rosaries to
me at:

George Youstra,
455 AEW/HC
BAF
APO, AE 09354

I will then distribute them to the Army chaplains and other bases around
the country. Blessings to you. Chaplain Youstra

This will be much cheaper sending them to an apo number, as you only pay postage to NY.
franzola

Postby MarHat » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:27 pm

Instead of cutting the twine, I use a woodburning tool and melts the twine very cleanly - no dipping on the ends of the twine that way. I do dip the ends when I cut the lengths.
Marilyn Hattan
MarHat

cutting and measuring twine

Postby malcido » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:48 pm

I measure my twine by wrapping it around my palm 23 times. For cutting and finishing, I use a tea light. It cuts and seals the twine (100% nylon) very nicely.
malcido

cutting and measuring twine

Postby malcido » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:51 pm

I measure my twine by wrapping it around my palm 23 times. For cutting and finishing, I use a tea light. It cuts and seals the twine (100% nylon) very nicely.
malcido

Return to Cord Rosaries