Bonded or not Bonded

Discuss materials, techniques, tools, and tricks of the trade for making cord rosaries for the missions.

Moderator: Moderators

Bonded or not Bonded

Postby Roses for Mary by Ana » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:46 pm

:?: :?: I just bought not bonded cord in OLRM and I really don't know where to start!!!! I have been using bonded and now I am appreciating it a lot.
Can someone tell me how to work with the not bonded one?. As soon as I cut it, it separates in peaces and there is no way not keep it together. :cry:
Roses for Mary by Ana

Postby angelmum » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:26 pm

What I do is dip the ends of the cord in clear nail polish. Let them dry and then the beads will slip right through and the cord will not fray. Hope this helps.
angelmum

thanks angelmum

Postby Roses for Mary by Ana » Fri May 01, 2009 7:41 am

I appreciate your help. One more thing :oops:

What happens to the rosary once the last knot is done. I wonder if it will stay tight. Do you put more nail polish?
Roses for Mary by Ana

Postby angelmum » Fri May 01, 2009 4:15 pm

Most stay tight. But I know some who put a dab of the polish on the last knot.
angelmum

Bonded or not Bonded

Postby carpenters_dtr » Mon May 18, 2009 4:18 pm

I work with both. For the non bonded, as soon as I cut it I use a lighter & place the cord end near the flame to briefly melt down the trimmed ends. Keeping the flame on too long will result in discoloration. I also do that to the ends trimmed by the knots but take care not to melt the adjacent twine.
FNT sells a twine cutting tool that heat sets the ends. I'm thinking about buying one. http://fnt-victory.net/fnt-victory.net/ ... tools.html
Kathy

"I look to you,
brothers & sisters of every state of life,
to you Christian families,
to you the sick & elderly,
and to you young people:
Confidently take up the rosary once again."
- Pope John Paul II
carpenters_dtr

Thanks for the tip

Postby Roses for Mary by Ana » Tue May 19, 2009 1:34 pm

:)
I will try right away!!
Roses for Mary by Ana

Ravelling unbonded cord

Postby rose59 » Sat May 29, 2010 7:31 pm

Get a wood burning tool and actually cut the cord with it. The best thing in the world. Look on the FNT/Rosary Cord website. They have instructions for putting scotch tape right where you want to cut it, cutting right through the tape and placing the ends next to a flame (a votive candle works great) before removing the tape. FNT sells a soldering gun to use as a cutter but they charge a lot. Just get a woodburning tool.
As you sow,surely shall you reap.
rose59

Use candle wax on cord ends

Postby JillPike » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:11 pm

I soak the cord ends in hot candle wax for a few seconds. It soaks into the cord, and helps the beads glide on easily. No fumes, no chemicals, and it can be re-dipped if needed. I use a candle warmer so there isn't an open flame to burn me.
JillPike

Return to Cord Rosaries