Size of cord from OLRM

Discuss materials, techniques, tools, and tricks of the trade for making cord rosaries for the missions.

Moderator: Moderators

Size of cord from OLRM

Postby ladystringer » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:04 pm

I have a question about cord size.  I had some cord from years ago that was a size #7....bonded.  Recently I bought size #7 bonded cord from OLRM.  The new cord is significantly smaller in diameter than the old cord I've have been using.  Which is better and what do most people use?  The smaller size 7 is more slippery and of course makes a smaller knot.   
If I pull my knots very tight (like I usually do) do I need to use glue on the knots?   Also, I usually put both ends of the cord through the Our Father bead at the center then cut it off.  

Thanks in advance for the advice.
ladystringer

Re: Size of cord from OLRM

Postby ladystringer » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:25 am

Perhaps I should rephrase my question.... Is it totally acceptable to make the mission rosaries with size 7 cord? Or should I throw that away and start over?
ladystringer

Postby David Ford » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:41 pm

Using either the #7 or the #9 cord is perfectly acceptable. In general, people that make knots use #9 cord, whereas people that use spacers use #7 cord, but that is not a hard set rule. You should probably just continue with the #7 for now, and if you don't like how the rosaries are turning out, then you can switch to #9.
David Ford
Site Admin

Postby David » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:11 am

Hello Lady Stringer,

You asked about glue. Here are my personal ideas. They at least work for me. :mrgreen:

On the white cording I use regular Elmer's glue and on the colored cording I use Elmers (Craft Bond) glue. The glue seems to 'soak' into the cording, giving a good bond, in my opinion.

The only knots that I glue are the top Hail Holy Queen and the final knot near the crucifix.

It's totally your call on what knots and what glue (or no glue) you use. Either way, the rosaries seem very strong when completed with the nylon #9 cording I use.

Likewise, we get the knots tight as well, as you mentioned. That's the key for many years of use.

Blessings,

David
David
David

Return to Cord Rosaries