Skulls On Rosaries

Ask general questions about OLRM.
This a a public forum, anyone can view what you post here.
Please DO NOT ask about your account info, order status, billing, or specific orders here.

Moderator: Moderators

Skulls On Rosaries

Postby VitoOFMCap » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:21 pm

If you ever see a really old rosary, you'll see a skull (Skull of Adam) attached.

I know that there are several reasons for this, most often being the momento mori, however I don't know if there are specific rules regarding the type of skull, when it can be added, or who can have one.

If anyone knows any information regarding this, I'd like to hear about it. People are asking about having this option, and I don't want to do anything unseemly. =)

Peace.
Br. Vito Martinez, OFM Cap.

VitoOFMCap

Postby bubble » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:34 pm

(THIS IS WHAT I FOUND ON LINE WITH A BEAUTIFUL ANTIQUE CRUSIFIX)
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread184753/pg1

OLRM STAFF

This most rare and unusual inlaid Crucifix is plated with chrome, probably over brass. It is inlaid with mahogany or ebony to which the Body of Christ and the other elements are nailed. On the back is the Sacred Heart of Jesus encircled with the Crown of Thorns, also in chrome. It is large, 5 1/4 inches tall, and 2 3/8 inches wide. It is European, and most likely was brought to this country by a nun, priest or religious brother. These Crucifixes were traditionally hung in the cell of a nun or monk, to remind them of the Passion of Christ, and to mediate upon the Four Last Things - Death and Judgement, Heaven and Hell. The Catholic Faithful occasionally treasured these Crucifixes as well, as an enhancement to their spiritual lives. At the top of the cross is a metal piece with the letters “INRI” in a scroll. These are the initials for the Latin phrase, “Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews.” This is what Pilate ordered to be placed on the cross while Christ was being crucified. Above Christ’s head is an elaborate halo. At His feet is the Skull and Crossbones that makes this an especially rare piece. Most inlaid crucifixes were made without the Skull and Crossbones. Quite often when they had them, people pried them off because they felt uncomfortable with them. The age and high quality of this Crucifix is indicated that the Body of Christ is solid and three-dimensional, not hollow in the back as most are. The skull and bones have many symbolic meanings. All Catholics are encouraged to meditate on the “Four Last Things - Death and Judgment, Heaven and Hell”, so that they will live in a state of grace and prepare themselves for Heaven. The skull is a great reminder of human mortality. Jesus Christ was crucified on Golgotha - “the place of the skull”. There is a legend that Christ, the New Adam, who conquered sin and death, was crucified on the gravesite of the first man, Adam, who brought sin and death into the world through his disobedience to God. The skull is a symbol of Adam’s grave - antique prints of the Crucifixion often show a skull at the foot of the Cross. Most important of all, the skull and bones are placed beneath Jesus’ feet, to show that He triumphed over death and sin on our behalf. The Crucifix is in excellent condition, with occasional and very slight wear to the chrome finish. There are some slight defects that appear to be artifacts of the manufacturing process, rather than later damage. This piece has been very well-kept, probably treasured dearly. It is of European origin, and dates back to the 1920's or earlier. It was probably made in what is now Germany. This is a very rare item in great condition - it is an inspiration as well!
Barbara
bubble

Postby littlerose » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:40 pm

Can you provide a direct link to the image? That forum raised too many security blocks in my system.
Oh Blessed Mother Mary, I am weak and you are most loving towards me, a small child of the Church.
Please throw your cloak around me and grasp my hand when evil ones approach.
littlerose

Postby David Ford » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:16 am

David Ford
Site Admin

Re: Skulls On Rosaries

Postby Herr_Mannelig » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:38 pm

VitoOFMCap wrote:If you ever see a really old rosary, you'll see a skull (Skull of Adam) attached.

I know that there are several reasons for this, most often being the momento mori, however I don't know if there are specific rules regarding the type of skull, when it can be added, or who can have one.

If anyone knows any information regarding this, I'd like to hear about it. People are asking about having this option, and I don't want to do anything unseemly. =)

Peace.

They are found on new rosaries as well.

Here is a rosary I made (but didn't photograph...my photographs are not as good as this): http://img90.imageshack.us/i/mmrosary.jpg/

Those are 8mm oval black onyx beads with bone skulls (water buffalo).

I have other such rosaries photographed in other styles. If anyone wants to see them, just ask. I do not want to post them without prompting as they are on a site on which one can buy custom rosaries although the site is not primarily one for business.
Herr_Mannelig

Skulls on Rosaries

Postby nikkname » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:10 am

My father has one of those crosses with the skull/crossbones on the bottom underneath the feet of Christ. His came from Europe during WW II and was given to him by a family member. A parish priest once told him that it represented a specific order of religious.

I found it interesting that the question came up on the forum, because my mom and I have discussed Dad's crucifix with its skull/crossbones recently. I had never noticed it before Mom mentioned it to me.

Nikki
nikkname

Postby bubble » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:28 pm

TOO LONG AGO DON'T HAVE THE WEB PAGE REFERENCE ANY MORE

I'M SURE YOU CAN FIND IT BY GOOGLING IT SO SORRY
Barbara
bubble

Return to General Questions