What are cocoa beads?

Ask general questions about OLRM.
This a a public forum, anyone can view what you post here.
Please DO NOT ask about your account info, order status, billing, or specific orders here.

Moderator: Moderators

What are cocoa beads?

Postby Rosary Guy » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:34 pm

OLRM sells cocoa beads. < https://www.rosarymakingparts.com/produ ... sro81p0bi0 > I have searched the Internet and turned up many sites that sell cocoa bead rosaries. They seem to be popular in rosaries for men. Strangely, I don't find any sites that sell non-rosary objects (such as necklaces or bracelets) made of cocoa beads, or any site selling loose cocoa beads. And no one defines exactly what a cocoa bead is.

Do they come from a plant? Are they a seed or a bean? (It is easy to find references to cocoa beans on the web, but there is nothing to suggest that they are ever turned into beads.) Are they turned from some kind of wood? (What kind of wood?) My attempts to find "cocoa wood" on the internet turned up a lot of cocoa stained wood and cocoa colored wood, but nothing about a type of wood or a species of tree. If they do come from a plant, what is that plant's name? Scientific name? From what part of the plant do they come?

Any clues to help me solve this mystery are welcome.
Rosary Guy

Re: What are cocoa beads?

Postby Karen » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:09 pm

Dear Rosary Guy,

I tried to do some research, and found that http://www.beadsandpieces.com sells "coco" beads. They say "Our coco beads come all the way from the Phillipine tropical islands where coconut trees grow in abundance and easily sourced all year round."

I have no idea if this is the same or different than cocoa beads. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Karen
"Remember that you are the guardians of beauty in the world."
Pope Paul VI - Message to Artists
Karen

Return to General Questions