Military rosaries and blessing them before mailing

Ask general questions about OLRM.
This a a public forum, anyone can view what you post here.
Please DO NOT ask about your account info, order status, billing, or specific orders here.

Moderator: Moderators

Military rosaries and blessing them before mailing

Postby ladystringer » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:56 pm

:roll: :roll: Does OLRM still accept the all black, totally plastic rosaries (and the all twine) for distribution to the military? If so what is the best address to send them to.

Another question, do you get the rosaries blessed before you send them off. I've never done this before but someone in our group thinks it is a must...opinions please.
ladystringer

Re: Military rosaries and blessing them before mailing

Postby David Ford » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:43 pm

Yes, we accept any and all rosaries. Just send them to our address: PO Box 37080 Louisville, KY 40233.

We do not get our rosaries blessed, but I have heard of many people doing that. It is up to you whether you want to have them blessed.
David Ford
Site Admin

Re: Military rosaries and blessing them before mailing

Postby Maire » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:19 pm

ladystringer wrote:Another question, do you get the rosaries blessed before you send them off. I've never done this before but someone in our group thinks it is a must...opinions please.

LAdyStringer (if you are still here), this is a question that has confused me in the past, but I think I'm understanding better lately.

In order for a rosary to become a sacramental of the Catholic Church, it needs to receive a special blessing that only a Catholic priest can give. The answer to your question might depend on where you are mailing your rosaries, whether the recipient has easy access to a Catholic priest who would bless them once they arrive.

My confessor advised me to have my military rosaries blessed before shipping them. If the rosaries are being sent directly to a non-Catholic chaplain in Afghanistan or Iraq, it could be awhile before his Catholic troops will be visited by a priest again.

If the rosaries are sent to a chaplain who is a Catholic priest, I do not have mine blessed first, but put a note to let Father know.

It is likely that some of our troops are praying devoutly with rosaries that have not been blessed. My personal belief is that these might be considered "sacramentals of desire" similar to "Sacraments of desire"... just because Our Lord is so beautiful and kind in the way He bestows graces.

This page has much helpful information about sacramentals:
http://www.fisheaters.com/sacramentalsintro.html

Peace be with you.

Mary
LORD, let Your mercy be on us, as we place our trust in You. ~ Psalm 33:22

Knotted Cord Rosary for Troops and for Veterans:
http://www.seatofwisdom.net/rosary.htm
http://www.seatofwisdom.net/veterans.htm
Maire

Return to General Questions