Aloha From Hawaii

Don't be bashful, we're all in this together!

Aloha From Hawaii

Postby Kim » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:54 pm

Greetings!!
My name is Kim and I am new to rosary making. I am in my early 40s, a military wife, have 3 teen-age daughters, and 2 boy cats. I work part-time at the local elementary school, where my children once attended.

During this summer break from school, I looked into making rosaries for the military. I found and started making Ranger Rosaries. Which lead me here to OLRM. Currently, I'm making some cord rosaries for another cause. So, I'm making cord and Ranger rosaries.

I also enjoy crocheting for charity - which I'll do once the summer heat lets up. 8)

My hubby is home for now, but I know he'll be deployed soon, and the rosary making helps to distract me and comfort me at the same time.

Thank you for letting me share. I'm happy to have found this forum and look forward to making some new friends and learning for all of you.

Much ALOHA - Kim
Kim

Postby RB2 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:20 pm

Pearl Harbor, Kaneohe, Schofield, Wheeler,Wainae or Hickam?
RB2

Postby Kim » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:39 pm

None. I live on the Big Island.
Kim

Postby RB2 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:42 pm

Hilo or Pohakuloa?
RB2

Postby Kim » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:48 pm

Hilo
Kim

Postby RB2 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:51 pm

there is no dependent housing at Pohakuloa, just thought I'd throw it in.
RB2

Postby Kim » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:59 pm

Thats good to know. We own our home here. Do you live here?
Kim

Postby RB2 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:19 am

Nope was stationed at Schofield then Pohakuloa for a while in peacetime in the days where you could pick your job(mos) and duty station. Joined to surf the North Shore of Oahu.
RB2

Postby toomuchyarn » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:05 pm

Welcome Kim,

I am Marguerite. I also crochet for charity. What do you like to crochet? Where do you donate your items?

Marguerite
toomuchyarn

Postby Kim » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:15 pm

Aloha Marguerite!
Thank you for the welcome. I"ve crocheted for Project Linus in the past, did lots of rectangles for various 'suppot the troops' organizations. But my most recent and favorite so far has been donating shawls to the nursing home where my Mom was. Only do a few a year for them, and some of them get raffled off during a Holiday function for the staff. The staff there took such great care with my Mom that I always include them in my gifts.
Mom has passed, but I still send my work to them.
This year I've committeed to crochet 30 angel dishcloths for the local catholic school holiday fair.
How about you? What's on your hook these days? Got any special holiday items in the works?
Kim

Postby toomuchyarn » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:09 pm

Hi Kim,

Wow, you have a lot on your plate. Right now I am crocheting squares for laprobes for the local county social services for Christmas distribution. Other than that, I make premature baby clothes and donate them to hospitals near and far including Tripler. My internet nickname is too much yarn which is probably accurate.

I think I have distributed all of my rosaries from my beginner's kit. I am hoping to order pearlized beads next. I saw pictures of rosaries made from these beads recently. They were very pretty.

Marguerite
toomuchyarn

Re: Aloha From Hawaii

Postby No Knotsense » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:17 pm

Kim--or Marguerite,

I'm the mom in our duo (together with my 12 yr old son)--we both make rosaries, and both crochet.

How can I find patterns for shawls? I've looked at a couple on-line, but the ones I could actually follow turned out goofy...don't know if I'm mis-reading the patterns or what. I would love to make more shawls, but can't find a pattern I like--simple, but not too plain. Also--what type/brand of yarn do you use or recommend? Last fall, I found a bunch of 100% cotton yarn at the dollar store, and ended up crocheting childrens hats for our local homeless support organization. I'm open to other ideas as well.

Oh, and Kim, my aunt lives in Hilo...someday I may get there to visit! ;)

Mary
Remember to Smile! :)
No Knotsense

Re: Aloha From Hawaii - Shawl patterns

Postby toomuchyarn » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:22 pm

Mary,

Welcome. I just saw your question about shawl patterns. I usually go to bevscountrycottage.com for my patterns. Bev has an extensive collection of free patterns that are well indexed. I have a shawl pattern I like - k hook, 15 rows. It is a wheelchair capelet. I will try to look the pattern up and post the link. I use basically any worsted weight yarn I can find at a good price preferably with a coupon - Red Heart Super Saver, Caron Pound of Love, etc.

Marguerite
toomuchyarn

Shawl Pattern link

Postby toomuchyarn » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:37 pm

Here is my favorite crocheted shawl pattern.
http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/wc-hug-shawl.html

Do not worry about odd shapes when you are learning. My grandmother who taught me to crochet always made booties starting at the center of the sole. Any time I have made booties from the center of the sole. The only thing I can say is there has never been a baby born with feet that big.

Marguerite
toomuchyarn

crochet shawl pattern

Postby Maire » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:33 am

Greetings, Mary and "No Knotsense" son. (Your name makes me smile.) What a blessing that together you share the happiness of making rosaries and crochet for charity!

Marguerite, thanks for your resources... Bev's Cottage site looks great! My Mom belongs to a prayer-shawl group at our church and I've been wanting to find more patterns for her as well. I like the one you recommended.

A few months ago I was searching for easy-to-crochet chemo hats and found that some of the yarn companies have free instructions online, rated by level of difficulty: beginner, easy, intermediate or experienced.

I've used "trinity stitch" (a variation of star stitch) to make a rectangular scarf, just that one stitch over and over. Using a hook a couple sizes larger than usual produced a softer texture. I believe it would make a nice shawl also.

Sometimes I'm not sure where to end a row and seem to add an extra stitch there. It's not so obvious at first, but after a while the side is veering off in another direction, no longer at a right angle. So I've learned that it really does save time in the long run to count the total number of stitches at the end of every row!

Peace be with you.
Maire
LORD, let Your mercy be on us, as we place our trust in You. ~ Psalm 33:22

Knotted Cord Rosary for Troops and for Veterans:
http://www.seatofwisdom.net/rosary.htm
http://www.seatofwisdom.net/veterans.htm
Maire

Return to Introduce Yourself!