Hi, I am new here

Don't be bashful, we're all in this together!

Hi, I am new here

Postby toomuchyarn » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:52 pm

Hi,

My name is Marguerite. I live in Southern California. I am new to rosary making. I have made exactly one rosary. It was for a presentation on the contributions of Catholic sister-nurses during the U.S. Civil War. I have a lot to learn.

I have enjoyed reading the forums. I was delighted to see information on job's tears seeds and where to purchase them. I would like to make some rosaries with those beads. I also like to read about unusual chaplets and would like to make some.

My username (toomuchyarn) comes from the charity crafting I do. I make premature baby clothes and donate them to hospitals. I make both the outfits for going home and for the tiny angels who go to heaven.

I am about to place my first order and have a few questions. The shipping options appear to be USPS and UPS ground. Are there other options? Is the USPS option a flat rate priority box? Is the shipping cost based on dollar value or weight? I would like to get the most bang for my postage buck. I would appreciate advice in this area.

Best wishes to all,

Marguerite
toomuchyarn

Postby Karen » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:27 am

Welcome Marguerite. The presentation for the contributions of sister-nurses during the Civil War sounds really interesting.

I've been ordering from Our Lady's Rosary Makers for several decades and, though I now read the the on-line forum, I still use a paper order form and buy via US mail. The order forms I use don't have a set shipping rate, so I add more than I think it will cost to mail my supplies, and consider part of my money to be a donation. I tithe, and since I only make mission rosaries, I count all of the money I send to OLRM to be part of the 10 percent I give back to the Lord.

Hopefully someone who orders on-line can give you a better reply to your questions.
"Remember that you are the guardians of beauty in the world."
Pope Paul VI - Message to Artists
Karen

shipping rates

Postby Maire » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:05 am

Bless your heart, Marguerite. What a beautiful ministry you have, providing hand-made clothes for the tiny babies. My Mom knits and crochets; she has been donating part of her stash of yarn to charity groups in recent years, but still has plenty left.
Job's Tears seeds are so beautiful; they should do well in your zone. A year or two ago in our newsletter OLRM published a photo of a rosary maker (in Florida, I think) whose JT plants were taller than himself!

Re: your question about postage, OLRM bases the shipping charge on actual weight. My memory is faulty, but I ordered some beads recently and have my bill handy... the shipping method says "best way"... the person at OLRM who packs your order will compare rates for you. Mine have been sent by USPS ground. If your box is heavy enough that bulk rate would be most economical, I believe that would be used. (You could call or email to doublecheck.) When you enter your order online, there is a comment field where you could request this. If you do not want to give your credit card number online, you may still place your order through the cart and at the last screen choose the option to pay by check. The computer does all the math and gives you a shipping rate; when your order is packed, the actual shipping amount will be entered and billed. (Usually mine is less than the first estimate.) Hope this helps.

God bless you. God bless all our new and veteran rosary makers, all around the world.

Mary
Last edited by Maire on Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LORD, let Your mercy be on us, as we place our trust in You. ~ Psalm 33:22

Knotted Cord Rosary for Troops and for Veterans:
http://www.seatofwisdom.net/rosary.htm
http://www.seatofwisdom.net/veterans.htm
Maire

Thank you for the welcome

Postby toomuchyarn » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:54 pm

Karen and Maire,

Thank you for the welcome and for the information. I know I have a lot to learn from you. I am having trouble deciding what to include in my first order. I decided on the beginner's kit for cord rosaries and a kit for chain rosaries (I have rosary pliers) and some literature. The problem is then I start looking at more things. I start to feel like a kid in a candy store. Eeeee!

Marguerite
toomuchyarn

Postby Karen » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:58 pm

Don't worry, nothing in the Our Lady's Rosay Makers catalog is fattening, so enjoy!
"Remember that you are the guardians of beauty in the world."
Pope Paul VI - Message to Artists
Karen

Return to Introduce Yourself!