sending rosaries to India or Africa

Discuss giving rosaries to foreign missonaries. Ask and answer questions about customs, duties, mailing options, and your recent communications with the foreign missions.

sending rosaries to India or Africa

Postby rosemarie » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:37 pm

jmjt
Hello,
I am pleased to say that I have my first 300 rosaries ready to send to a
missionary and was blessed with a donor for the shipping. I have read the shipping instructions and it seems pretty straight forward. Is there anything else I might need to know before I take them to the post office? Rose
Immaculate Heart of Mary, Cause of our joy, lend us your Heart+ Blessed Teresa of Calcutta
rosemarie

Postby rosemarie » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:24 pm

jmjt
Peace be to all of you,
Well I've done it! My first box of rosaries are on their way to South India. The flat rate for the box I used, which is the size I think they are referring to on the request page, was $38.95 not $37.00. And I could only fit 210 rosaries in that box. The next size box was going to cost $48.95 to send so I stayed with the smaller box. I think I need to work on my packing skills. Any suggestion or tips would be greatly appreciated. Rose
Immaculate Heart of Mary, Cause of our joy, lend us your Heart+ Blessed Teresa of Calcutta
rosemarie

Postby tess » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:49 pm

I haven't mailed any rosaries overseas in quite awhile - but I did today. I mailed 208 out to Africa. It cost the same price for me as you paid, Rosemarie.

I always write on the box "Free of no Commerical value", but also,
on the customs form I put a "0" value.

I have always done it that way, but I had a new postal clerk today and she tried to insist that I give it a "dollar" value. I didn't.
Does anyone else give it a dollar value on the customs form? Or do you put "0", as I do?
tess

Postby BeadsOfPeace » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:15 pm

We've encountered a problem a couple of times on packages to India. Now I don't know what the situation is at the other end, but specific packages we mailed to specific addresses, to specific priests, have ended up going to someone else -- the same person. These packages were addressed to different cities in the same province. So I don't know if the mail people are just not fooling with delivery or not. As far as we're concerned, the person receiving the packages was a holy person so glad they are being used. The worry is that not all packages will arrive as you addressed them.
"The only things we take with us from our life on earth are those which we have given away."
BeadsOfPeace

Postby tess » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:56 pm

tess wrote:...I always write on the box "Free of no Commerical value", but also,
on the customs form I put a "0" value.

I have always done it that way, but I had a new postal clerk today and she tried to insist that I give it a "dollar" value. I didn't.
Does anyone else give it a dollar value on the customs form? Or do you put "0", as I do?

The last OLRM newsletter had a letter from a Priest overseas who suggested putting a small dollar value (perhaps $5.00 to $20.00) on the customs forms.

So, that's what I shall do from now on.
I spoke with another Postal clerk yesterday and she told me that if there is no dollar value on the form that it is more apt to be opened by customs.
"Faith,
is the bird
that feels the light and sings,
while the dawn is still dark."
tess

Postby rosemarie » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:27 pm

Late in 2008, I had sent 2 boxes of rosaries to India. The first I filled out the custom forms like OLRM suggest, I have never heard from this missionary and their request is still in the newsletter. The second the postman told me to put no value on it and to never put religous or educational items on the customs form. He said some areas will see that and throw them away. I told him what was in the box, he said to write on the customs form that they were necklaces/gifts. I heard from the missionary 2 mos. later. So now I make all my custom forms out that way.

I sent 6 boxes last month. Hope they all get to thier distination.
rosemarie

Postby tess » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:56 pm

I haven't mailed any rosaries to India for quite awhile, (seem to be mailing all of mine to Africa lately), but I have never yet had a problem with them arriving at the right place.

So far, I have always heard back from whomever I have sent them to, although at times it was quite awhile before I was notified of their receipt.

But, as I said, it's been awhile, (probably a couple of years), so things may have easily changed in that time - plus different areas may have more problems then others as already mentioned.

Just a thought, but if some places throw them out if it says "Rosaries", what if one were to put "prayer beads" on it instead?

I think Hindus, and several other religions that are probably common in that area use 'prayer beads", so perhaps if it is written as such they would be less likely to toss them?
any ways, just a thought....

It would be nice if every one whom recives the mission rosaires would let us know that they received them so that we would know whether they indeed reached their destination, but unfortunately, not all reply.
"Faith,
is the bird
that feels the light and sings,
while the dawn is still dark."
tess

Postby Leah » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:29 am

Peace to all of you who are sending mission rosaries to foreign countries.

As I'm contemplating sending my first batch, I was wondering how many to send to each priest/mission/request. Since I know absolutely nothing about the mail system, I would probably wasted a lot of money, but you fine folks have answered my questions.

Peace be with you and keep up the good work.

Leah
Leah

value declared

Postby Macy » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:02 pm

I followed the directions and put .01 as to the value of the rosaries. I also wrote "not for commerical resale" "Educational materials" etc.

I know it got there because I received 3 letters from different parishes in Uganda requesting more rosaries.

To whom should I forward these requests?
Macy

requests for mission rosaries

Postby lindabean55 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:34 am

I'd suggest you email them to OLRM. I noticed that when I sent some rosaries to Africa I got several letters from other missions requesting rosaries, so I think the senders get passed around along with the rosaries. I have kept the letters in our scrapbook/file for future reference. Usually the group decides who to send the rosaries to.
Linda Mc
"If you don't stand for something - You'll fall for anything"
lindabean55

Christmas Gift

Postby sgrima » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:10 pm

For Christmas this year my family helped me make 100 mission rosaries for the poor. Other than a sailor's ministry I was in and distrubuted rosaries to ships, this is the first time I am shipping rosaries to an overseas mission. I had to split the "order" since the parish where my guild is at takes our rosaries to the hospitals and prision ministries. But I am excited for this, I hope it makes a wonderful christmas gift for some of the poor in Africa.
Rosary Makers- arms dealers in the war between good and evil.
sgrima

Return to Foreign Missions