Mission Rosaries to Ghana, West Africa

Discuss giving rosaries to foreign missonaries. Ask and answer questions about customs, duties, mailing options, and your recent communications with the foreign missions.

Mission Rosaries to Ghana, West Africa

Postby Donna D » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:42 pm

Before Christmas I mailed two medium flat-rate boxes of rosaries (500) to Ghana, West Africa.
One was received last week and the second is yet to turn up. I guess I just never thought it would be so difficult to mail direct to a foreign country.
Also, through the Rosary Makers' helpful hints, I wrote on the Customs Form Prayer Beads "0" value and the statement "No Commercial Value". The Msgr. who I sent them to was required to pay a duty fee of $15.00 for the one box that did show up. I feel just terrible to also find out that he had to travel 1 1/2 hours to get to the Post Office. This exercise was pretty discouraging, especially since it was my first time sending mission rosaries direct to a foreign country myself. Does anyone have any other helpful hints for me in the event that I attempt to "send direct" again. Postage went up in January it cost me $85.64 to send the two boxes. May God Bless, Donna D
Donna D

Re: Mission Rosaries to Ghana, West Africa

Postby Karen » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:55 am

Donna,

How discouraging when you do a good deed, and extra problems come along.

Because of my limited income (I'm only working a few hours a week) I always mail to US addresses, so I can't help you with information on foreign shipments, but I wanted to reply to let you know that I wasn't ignoring your request for help!

Did you get the Africa address from Our Lady's Rosary Makers, or some other reliable organization? If so, then the missionary must have asked for rosaries, and knew that it would be a long drive to get packages. You did the right steps by filling out the Custom Form correctly, so keep in mind that it's not your fault that problems arose, a fee had to be paid, or a shipment was delayed.

I hope that rosary makers who ship to foreign countries will be able to give you some good advice on what to do for the next shipment, but may I suggest that you pray through Our Lady's intercession that all of the shipped rosaries will end up in the right hands? I just prayed for you and your "lost" rosaries, for that is all that I can do to help.

Karen
"Remember that you are the guardians of beauty in the world."
Pope Paul VI - Message to Artists
Karen

Re: Mission Rosaries to Ghana, West Africa

Postby Maire » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:09 pm

Donna, I do not have an answer either and was waiting to see if one of our members who has mailed a package more recently would know.

I sent some mission rosaries to a MSOLA Sister in Uganda a few years ago. Twice I mailed a package of ~50, about a year apart. The first box was transported by boat and postage was around $10. I'm remembering that it may have taken 6-8 weeks for my package to get there, but the dear recipients were just as happy. (Sister sent me some beautiful photos of the school children; another photo showed the tabernacle in their chapel there.) The people may not have a lot of material possessions, but they treasure their faith and are rich in spiritual ways. The following year USPS discontinued the "global" (boat) rate and the least expensive option was airmail ($39 to ship 50 rosaries). Sister felt badly that I had spent that much. But Our Lord provides ways for us to do what we need to do. From time to time some kind ladies at my church have given me funds for supplies and postage to send more rosaries. Still I wish we could have that boat rate again to be able to make the funds go further.

I will pray with you also. It is discouraging, but Lord willing, another door will open for you.

Peace be with you.

Mary
LORD, let Your mercy be on us, as we place our trust in You. ~ Psalm 33:22

Knotted Cord Rosary for Troops and for Veterans:
http://www.seatofwisdom.net/rosary.htm
http://www.seatofwisdom.net/veterans.htm
Maire

Return to Foreign Missions