Blessing In Disguise

Share your inspiring stories here!

Moderator: Moderators

Blessing In Disguise

Postby Karen » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:09 pm

Back-to-back miserable days at work left me in tears. I counted my blessings & "offered up" problems, but I was in the grip of a super-sized Pity Party. To take my mind off my troubles I decided to make a rosary.

I reached for the old plastic sewing box that held my rosary supplies and -- oh no, how did that happen? -- the top of the box was smashed, with cracks going in all directions. Several years ago the bottom of the box cracked and I'd covered it in duct tape, with a cloth cover to "pretty it up" until I found a different storage box.

Well, I needed a new box right now; something beautiful, and worthy to hold my precious rosary supplies. So what if I was poor, I'd get myself a quality wooden storage box, no matter how much it cost.

Hmm, didn't I already own an oak box, rescued from a burn pile? It was battered and dirty, used for half-a-century as a junk container in an old barn. And because it had once been the wooden part of a wall mounted crank telephone, there were several large holes drilled through the hinged lid, and all its sides.

I dug out my treasure and looked it over. I'd need to make a tray to hold small items, and it would take ages to patch all those holes with wood filler, and did I need a difficult project just when everything was so stressful?

But I love small woodworking projects, and I own powdered wood patch, and wood scraps, and left-over paint, and I'm coming up with all sorts of ideas on how to make the most beautiful rosary supplies box in the whole world.

I haven't a clue how the top of my poor old plastic box got smashed, and I don't have time to worry about that now. I've got a wonderful new rosary box to work on, and that is taking my mind off all of my other troubles. I guess an unknown accident turned out to be a blessing in disguise.
"Remember that you are the guardians of beauty in the world."
Pope Paul VI - Message to Artists
Karen

Postby Maire » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:14 pm

Karen, thank you for sharing your wonderful story of Divine Providence... what a great gift you received! One door closes for a better one to open. Just think of all the souls whose words of love and friendship traveled through that telephone box long ago. Wow. I have a feeling they are praying with you now. The work of your hands makes this so special, all your care to fix it up and then all the rosaries you will be giving from it. Most definitely, the most beautiful box in the world!

You are remembered in prayers.
Peace be with you.
mary
LORD, let Your mercy be on us, as we place our trust in You. ~ Psalm 33:22

Knotted Cord Rosary for Troops and for Veterans:
http://www.seatofwisdom.net/rosary.htm
http://www.seatofwisdom.net/veterans.htm
Maire

Postby Karen » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:42 pm

I was going through a rough time and didn't work on my box for awhile, but then I got enough ambition to finish it. I made a wooden divided tray for small supplies, then I patched and sanded and patched my old telephone box some more. I was able to "hide" the inside patches with streaks of 2 colors of brown paint, and kept most of the oak grain visible.

But the poor outside was in rough shape and needed painting. I had a couple of colors to choose from, and was leaning towards light blue, since it was my favorite color. Then it hit me that blue was Mary's color, so of course no other color should be used for a rosary supply box. A couple of coats of blue paint looked rather plain, so I added a bit of "marbling" effect with some off white, and now it looks a little like a blue sky with wispy clouds.

Things at work are unpleasant, since my employer has a different value system than I do, and during a recent scolding he came right out and told me he didn't care about my conscience, my job was to make him money. My hours have been cut back, and I'm now at a lower rate of pay, which will make my budget pretty tight -- especially since I'm now paying for mental health counseling. (The counselor is charging me half-price, which is nice of her.)

On the positive side I now have the world's most beautiful rosary supplies box. For a time I may need to do a bit of doing without, but my rosary parts now have a fitting home. Some people may disagree with my value system, but I guess I know what's most important.
"Remember that you are the guardians of beauty in the world."
Pope Paul VI - Message to Artists
Karen

Return to Personal Tales