Beyond Mission Rosaries

Share your inspiring stories here!

Moderator: Moderators

Beyond Mission Rosaries

Postby Marge » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:58 pm

I don't know how 'inspiring' this is, but I live in a small area, and only know of one other roasry maker any where near me, and she is very elderly now, and able to make only a few, once in a while.
My point....folks find out I make rosaries for the missions. I have had several requests for "special" rosaries, made with more expensive materials. Gold crosses, centers, chain, etc. and very expensive beads. I am more than happy to make these rosaries, but only according to my rules :)
I have several catalogs with expensive materials in them....these I give to the perspective buyer, along with a list of what is needed to make the rosary they would like. I order the material, they pay for all of it. I make the rosary, but will NOT take any kind of compensation for doing so.
I have been told that I am a fool, but I just can't take any compensation for putting out another of Our Lady's Blessed Rosaries. She asked us to pray Her rosary, not make a fortune on them!
I do suggest that the person might include in their prayers, a special prayer for my little granddaughter who has cystic fibrosis. For me that is total compensation :D
Jesus, I trust in You
Marge

Beyond Mission Rosaries

Postby nikkname » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:38 am

I have made wire rosaries only as gifts for people I am close to with one exception. I made a rosary using OLRM parts; shamrock beads, cross & center with green shamrocks on them. I donated this rosary to an auction fundraiser for our local Ulster Project (bringing Irish Catholic & Protestant youths to the US in hopes they will discover religious/political differences don't have to separate people).

I see nothing wrong with charging for your services to create a one-of-a-kind rosary for someone. Those dollars you receive can pay for more mission rosary parts, or can be donated to local charities. The choice to charge or not is of course yours, but if someone is going to get something priceless out of the deal, you could help out missions or other charities at the same time. It would be no different than fundraising to afford postage to send mission rosaries worldwide, as I see it. I don't really equate it with making money off Our Lady's request for prayer.

Just another thought on it. I think it is great that you will do that for people.
Nikki
nikkname

Post subject: Beyond Mission Rosaries

Postby Marge » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:17 pm

Nikki, thank you for replying to my post.
I feel most embarassed. I did not intend to imply that being paid for making a rosary made praying the rosary any less heartfelt and important. :oops:
I understand what you say about putting money to good use for other mission purposes. I just hope to lead by example.
By the way, I don't think a rosary made of high price materials is any more precious than one made of seeds.
Told you I have been called a fool before :wink:
Thank you for the good work you do. God Bless.
Jesus, I trust in You
Marge

Beyond Mission Rosaries

Postby nikkname » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:30 am

No offense taken, Marge. I agree with you, the most precious rosary is the one you HAVE, not the one you wish you had. While some may be beautiful and others more plain, it is the prayers that are important, not the instrument used to count them.

I am planning on making a rosary for my daughter for her wedding, and asking that it be worked into her bouquet. It will be a keepsake for her from that day always, and I am doing it because I can. I would do the same for friends or family who wanted a special keepsake rosary, have them buy parts and make it for nothing. So in many ways we are on the same page. The "making" is my gift to the person. I don't see that as foolish.

Keep doing the good works the way you see fit!
Nikki
nikkname

Return to Personal Tales