In Honor of Patron Saints

Share your inspiring stories here!

Moderator: Moderators

In Honor of Patron Saints

Postby Karen » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:35 pm

Today is the feast day of St. Anne, patron saint of seamstresses, so it is a good time to tell how I have developed a special appreciation of patron saints.

Over the years I've had financial difficulties, and posted several messages asking for employment prayers. Currently I'm working at a twelve hour a week office job, plus I'm house cleaning four hours on Friday afternoons. I've been trying to find additional employment, and prayed countless 30 day novenas to St. Joseph, the patron saint of workers.

Last fall I tried to think of some way to earn money, and decided to start a little business mending clothing. I began to wonder if there was a patron saint of seamstresses, and found out it was St. Anne, the mother of Mary, and grandmother of Jesus.

Learning I should start a special devotion to St. Anne was a shock -- I had chosen her for my confirmation saint, but for an un-pious reason. At the time I was preparing for confirmation I was either told, or thought I had been told, that the name of my confirmation saint would be added to my own name. Most of the saints listed in the "supplement section" of our family Bible had what I considered to be unattractive names, so I choose Anna (as the name was spelled in our Bible supplement) because I liked the sound of having my given names expanded to Karen Sue Anna. I gave little thought to my confirmation saint, until I learned she was the patron of the occupation I chose as a way to help pay my bills.

I've been trying to remember to ask St. Anne to pray for me, and bless the sewing work I obtained. Then I learned that July 17th through the 25th is the traditional dates to pray novenas to St. Anne. I had a booklet (obtained years ago from OLRM) telling of the St. Anne chaplet, so I ordered a St. Ann medal from OLRM (the saint's name has many spellings) and used beads and a center from a broken, partial rosary to make myself a St. Anne chaplet.

Last month I had placed a sewing ad in two issues of a local weekly newspaper, but had received no responses. But during the days I was praying my novena three people told me they had saved my ad, and two brought me sewing work. Plus I heard from two people whom I've previously sewn for -- one brought me sewing work, and one said she will later on.

It might be just a coincidence that I went more than a month with no sewing work, and then received three jobs (and two possible future jobs) while praying my St. Anne novena, but I will continue to have a special fondness to the patron saint of seamstresses (and my long-neglected confirmation saint).

If you are trying to find work in a certain field you may want to find out who is the patron of your chosen occupation, and then ask the patron to intercede on your behalf. It can't hurt, and just may help.
"Remember that you are the guardians of beauty in the world."
Pope Paul VI - Message to Artists
Karen

Re: In Honor of Patron Saints

Postby Maire » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:07 pm

Thank you, Karen. What a great story of a dear saint's intercession.

When I was a little girl our parish had St. Anne novena every July, special prayers and hymns and benediction. So beautiful, Our Lord's gift of the Blessed Sacrament. It was heavenly to participate for those nine evenings. I'm remembering everyone singing from their hearts, "O good Saint Anne, we call on your name..."

Just a thought... if there is a Senior Citizen center in your area, maybe that would be another place to post your ad.
(Our local Sr. Ctr. has a bulletin board for services like yours.) Older people tend to shrink as bone density changes and then need their slacks re-hemmed. Poor eyesight and arthritis in their hands may prevent some from being able to mend their own clothes anymore.

I didn't know that St. Anne was patron saint of sewing and am happy to learn that.

God bless you.

Mary
LORD, let Your mercy be on us, as we place our trust in You. ~ Psalm 33:22

Knotted Cord Rosary for Troops and for Veterans:
http://www.seatofwisdom.net/rosary.htm
http://www.seatofwisdom.net/veterans.htm
Maire

Re: In Honor of Patron Saints

Postby Karen » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:43 pm

Mary,

St. Anne is also the patron saint of mothers, grandmothers, homemakers, plus many other groups. She is even one of several patron saints of carpenters!

I was able to attend daily Mass on the feast day of Saints Anne and Joachim, and the priest said young ladies used to make novenas and pray "Good St. Anne, find me a man".

Thank you for the suggestion that I put up signs in senior centers. I'll try to think of places in or near my small town where many older people will be likely to go.
"Remember that you are the guardians of beauty in the world."
Pope Paul VI - Message to Artists
Karen

Return to Personal Tales