Taking the Lord's Name In Vain

Share your inspiring stories here!

Moderator: Moderators

Taking the Lord's Name In Vain

Postby Karen » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:31 pm

Yesterday I had an appointment at a hiring agency I thought I knew how to find, but it wasn't where I supposed it to be. As I drove around looking for the office, I may have been distracted by being late and being lost, for though I was sure I looked to see that I had a green light, as I drove through an intersection I saw a tractor-trailer coming at me.

The truck broad-sided the passenger side of my small car and, in an instant, I was within crumpled metal and smashed glass. Men crowded around my driver's door asking if I was hurt, but all I could do was sit there with hands over my face, as I repeated the words "oh my God, oh my God."

My reaction caused the first responders to theorize that the airbag had hit me in the face. That hadn't happened, for my head was the only part of me that wasn't bruised by the ordeal. For whatever reason, covering my face and repeating my refrain was how I got through those early moments of trauma.

This morning, I reflected on what I'd said. I hope my words had been pure prayer. I've known people, who weren't in the habit of praying, say a drawn-out version of "oh my God" when they meant "can you believe the crazy thing that person just did?" And in this world of instant messaging OMG gets typed when people may not be attempting to spend time in prayer.

I believe (perhaps incorrectly) that Orthodox Jews never say or write the name of their Creator, to avoid ever using that sacred name without proper reverence. That's something to think about.

I try to be a good, reverent Christian, but are there times when I bandy about my Lord's name a little too freely? Do I ever say "oh my God" when I don't mean it as a spontaneous prayer for help, or as a thank-you when the worst possible scenario didn't happen?

If I have ever used the Lord's name in vain, it is time for me to pray in true contrition: "Oh my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended Thee."
"Remember that you are the guardians of beauty in the world."
Pope Paul VI - Message to Artists
Karen

Re: Taking the Lord's Name In Vain

Postby Maire » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:56 am

God bless you, Karen. Prayers of thanksgiving that you were able to walk away from that accident.

Your spontaneous calling on the name of the Lord in a time of distress seems almost like a psalm.

Yes, it is very sad to hear His name used carelessly and without affection in different situations. Jesus is so kind and merciful to us when we do not know what we are doing, always interceding for our forgiveness. We are so blessed!
LORD, let Your mercy be on us, as we place our trust in You. ~ Psalm 33:22

Knotted Cord Rosary for Troops and for Veterans:
http://www.seatofwisdom.net/rosary.htm
http://www.seatofwisdom.net/veterans.htm
Maire

Return to Personal Tales